If you are passionate about serving the community, then what better career option to pursue? So go ahead and read this guide to understand how to become a police officer in El Paso.
Requirements to Become a Police Officer in El Paso
The candidate can apply for this position if he/she meets the following criteria:
- Must be a current US citizen
- Has a GED or a High School Diploma, twelve semester hours of credit from an accredited university or college, six months of general work experience and 21 years of age by the time of graduation from the police academy
- GED/High School Diploma, 60 semester hours of credit or an associate’s degree from an accredited university or college, six months of general work experience and 18 years of age by the time of graduation from the police academy
- GED or a High School Diploma, at least two years of active military service (full-time), must be honorably discharged and should be 18 years of age by the time of graduation from the police academy
- Should have a valid driver’s license (Texas ‘C’ Class or an equivalent from any other state)
How Long Does It Take to Become a Police Officer in El Paso?
The process is generally long and the hiring process may take several months to complete. The candidate is advised to keep a check on the city’s website page to stay updated regarding job postings and test announcements.
Once the vacancy opens, the website will display the test information. Individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as the vacancy opens up because the position closes when a predetermined number of qualified applications have been received. Candidates will be expected to appear for the written exam and the job simulation test. Those who attain a passing score will then progress to the next stage.
They will be expected to undergo a thorough screening process which will involve reference checks, criminal history checks and employment verification. They will also have to undergo an interview process, a medical check, a psychological test and a drug examination. After clearing all these stages, the candidate will be sent to the training academy to learn about various aspects of the job. After the completion of the program, the recruits are required to complete the probationary period.
Salary of Police Officers in El Paso
The hourly salary range for Police Recruits in El Paso is $16.60 according to the city’s police department website. The annual salary range of Police Officers (1-4 years) is $44,736.38 – $51,674.86. The salary increases with every step an officer takes in his career ladder.