How to Become a Police Officer in Oregon ?
Oregon is largely a safe state, according to data from the National Council for Home Safety and Security. However, it is not immune to crimes. Portland is the third most dangerous cities in the state – with 5.2 reported crimes per 1,000 people and a property crime rate of 56.8 per 1,000. Compared to the overall state figures (2.5 violent crimes per 1,000 people and 31.41 property crimes per 1,000 people), this is quite high. So it comes as no surprise that the police force in Oregon is working round the clock to counter the menace of criminal activities in the state.
To join the police force in Oregon, you will need to fulfill a certain defined process. This process may vary from county to county, depending on the requirements of individual departments. The following list of steps is meant to serve as a general guideline for those who intend to work as a police officer in Oregon.
- Make sure you meet the basic requirements of your department
- Fill out the application and submit it
- Pass the written exam
- Pass the oral interview
- Pass the physical exam
- Clear the polygraph test
- Pass the drug screening test
- Clear a thorough medical and psychological exam
- Pass the interview with the administrators in the department
- Begin your police academy training
As listed above, the first step is to ensure that you meet all the requirements set forth by the state. These requirements would be different in different parts of the state. You are advised to check the detailed requirements with the department you are applying to. Generally, the following might be used as a guideline:
- Candidate must be a citizen of the US
- Candidate should have a high school diploma or a GED – though candidates with higher degrees may have better prospects
- Candidate needs to be at least 21 years of age
- Candidate should be in a good physical and mental state
- Candidate should not have been convicted of a felony or domestic violence
- Candidate should have an honorable discharge from the military (if applicable)
How long does it take to become a Police Officer in Oregon?
To become a police officer in Oregon, you will need a time investment of approximately 1.5-2 years. This would include the time taken for the application process, the police academy training and any probationary period defined by the department. The timeline is subject to variation.
How much does a Police Officer make in Oregon?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers in Oregon made an annual mean wage of $70,360 as of May, 2018 which is higher than the national mean wage of $65,400.