The San Jose Police Department is trying to bring down the rising crime rates in the Surf City. Homicides, rape, aggravated assaults and larceny in the city increased from Jan-Jun 2018 to Jan-Jun 2019. Total violent crimes were up by 7.8% in the city, which is an alarming figure. If you want to join these brave men and women in their fight against crime, here is all the information you need on how to become a police officer in San Jose, including details of the requirements, salary data and expected growth.
Requirements to Become a Police Officer in San Jose
The San Jose Police Department lists down the minimum qualifications for a Police Recruit. This is the entry level position for someone who has no police/peace officer experience of training in the State of California. These requirements are as follows:
- Candidate need not have any prior experience of training
- Candidate must be at least 20-1/2 years old at the time of application. Mandatory age of retirement is 70.
- Candidate should be a citizen of the US or should have applied for citizenship
- Candidate should have a valid driver’s license
- Candidate should have at least a high school diploma or a GED
- Candidate must have at least 20/40 corrected vision
- Candidate should not have any felony conviction
- Candidate should not have any financial accounts currently in “collections”
Steps to Become a Police Officer in San Jose
Once you have ensured that you meet the above stated minimum requirements, you can begin the actual process of application:
This has nearly 180 questions and its results are valid for one year
Candidates are required to clear either the PELLETB test or the National Testing Network (NTN) Test
Candidates will be asked five to eight questions. Candidates who clear this step, along with the first four steps, will then be placed on a list of eligible candidates for background investigation
Upon successful completion of this step, the hiring board will make their employment selections. The selected candidates will receive a conditional offer of employment
This would be a 26-week long program where recruits will be paid an hourly rate
Those who successfully complete the police training will then be required to complete the FTO
How Much Does a Police Officer Make in San Jose?
According to the official website of the San Jose Police Department, the annual base pay range for Police Officers is $98,051.00 to $152,415.00, effective from 2019. In addition to this, recruits are also offered benefits such as paid vacation and sick leaves, annual uniform allowance, medical and dental plans and retirement plans.