The Tennessee State Police Department is the premier police force of the state, working to ensure complete maintenance of law and order. The department is active 24/7 in its quest to protect the life and liberty of all residents of Tennessee. The hard-working men and women of the Tennessee Police Department are fully committed to protect the state’s citizens from all sorts of criminal and unlawful activities while ensuring that a peaceful environment is available for everyone.
Steps to Become a Police Officer in Tennessee
After fulfilling the basic criteria, you must go through some stages in order to become a Tennessee police officer. These are given below.
Step 1: Locate all police departments in Tennessee that are currently inducting new officers and submit your employment application online.
Step 2: After the initial screening process and background checks are completed, you will be asked to take a physical test. The purpose of this test is to assess your physical suitability and fitness to wear the uniform.
Step 3: Fulfill all educational requirements. You must possess at least the minimum qualification needed to become a Tennessee police officer.
Step 4: Undergo a thorough medical and psychological evaluation.
Step 5: Clear the polygraph test.
Step 6: Undergo complete background scrutiny.
Step 7: Your final selection will depend on successful completion of all stages.
Requirements to Become a Tennessee Police Officer
The following criteria must be fulfilled in order to become a Tennessee police officer.
- You must be a legal citizen of the US, either by birth or through naturalization. You must also be a resident/citizen of the state of Tennessee.
- You must be at least 18 years old when applying to become a police officer in Tennessee.
- You must have a valid driving license of the state of Tennessee.
- You need to have at least a Tennessee High School Diploma or an equivalent certificate from the GED (General Educational Development).
- You must not be a convicted felon either in Tennessee or any other American state.
Duration to Become a Tennessee Police Officer
You must undergo the Tennessee Police Academy training for about 6 months (22 weeks) whereas the whole process of becoming a police officer, from the time you initiate your application to the moment you complete your training, will take 2 years.
Salary of a Police Officer in Tennessee
As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the United States, the annual mean wage of a police and sheriff’s patrol officer in Tennessee is $44,320 as per 2017.