- Should I Become a Police Officer in Puerto Rico?
- How to become a Police Officer in Puerto Rico ?
- Requirements to Become a Police Officer in Puerto Rico
- Police Academy Training
- How long does it take to become a Police Officer in Puerto Rico?
- Expected Salary Of Police Officers In Puerto Rico
Should I Become a Police Officer in Puerto Rico?
Police officers protect the lives and properties of the citizens of Puerto Rico. They uphold the law by arresting criminals and collecting evidence for prosecution. As per the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 13,440 Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers were working in the state in 2019. If you want to join their ranks, read this article for more details.
Featured Programs and Schools
|Education Required||College coursework is needed.|
|Training||Police academy training is compulsory.|
|Key Skills/Qualities||Physical fitness, Mobility, Out-of-the-box thinking, etc.|
|Annual Mean Salary (2020) – National||$70,000 (Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers)|
|Job Outlook (2020-2030)||7% (Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers)|
|Annual Mean Salary (2020) – Puerto Rico||$37,430 (Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers)|
Source: US Bureau of Labor Statistics
How to become a Police Officer in Puerto Rico ?
The Puerto Rico Police Department is the primary law enforcement agency in the state and is responsible for protecting its citizens. The department is also responsible for safeguarding the rule of law and the constitution of the United States of America. Many hardworking officers dedicate their time and energy to protect the state, often under difficult circumstances. If you want to join their ranks and apply to be a Police Officer in Puerto Rico, here are a few necessary steps. The following steps include both the educational requirements and the general guidelines to become a police officer in Puerto Rico.
According to the U.S Bureau of Labor statistics, there are a few general requirements for becoming a police officer that span across states, including Puerto Rico.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old
- Candidates should be citizens of the United States (through birth or naturalization)
- Candidates should have a high school diploma or a GED
- Candidates should have a driver’s license
- Candidates should have no prior convictions
The general requirements are listed above. Additional requirements for being a Police Officer in Puerto Rico are mentioned below.
- Candidates may be expected to have completed some college coursework.
- Candidates are expected to pass a psychological test
- Before being hired, candidates are expected to attend a police training academy.
- Candidates are expected to pass a Polygraph test to discern their honesty and integrity
- Candidates must pass a physical ability test
- Candidates must consent to a background investigation
Most physical tests include running drills, obstacle courses, weight lifting and pushups. Most entrance exams are written tests that include multiple choice questions to judge basic aptitude, general knowledge, decision making capabilities and analytical thinking. Many online resources are available for those that want to prepare for the Police Exam.
Police Academy Training
After the basic academy training, all candidates are expected to pass a field training program. The program will include more advanced learning like
- Using firearms
- CPR and First Aid
- Self defense techniques
- Risk Assessment
- Role Playing
- Apprehension techniques
How long does it take to become a police officer in Puerto Rico?
In totality, it may take from 1.5 to 2 years to qualify becoming a Puerto Rican Police Officer. From these two years, 6 months are dedicated to completing training at the Police Academy.
Expected Salary of Police officers in Puerto Rico
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the 2020 median salary of Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers was $65,540 per year. Here are some May 2020 statistics specific to Puerto Rico for the category of Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers, to help you make a more informed decision.
|State||Annual Median Wage (2020)|
|Employment per 1000||15.88|
|Annual Mean Wage||$37,430|
|Hourly Mean Wage||$15 approx|